Saturday, May 29, 2010

Visit to Anjaneyar temple in Namakkal

Last week, i visited Namakkal Anjaneyar temple from Bangalore . The route was via Krishnagiri, Salem and Namakkal. It was a 7 hours journey from Bangalore. Namakkal is nearer to Bangalore than Chennai. The travel time can be split up as between Bangalore to Krishnagiri -2 hours, Krishnagiri to Salem - 4 hours and Salem to Namakkal - 1 hour. I attended my friend's marriage and visited the hanuman temple in namakkal while returning back to bangalore. Namakkal is famous for poultry and lorry body building business.

Anjaneyar temple in Namakkal is one of my favorite temple from my childhood. I could recollect my childhood school days of Namakkal which was regularly filled with weekly visit to Anjaneyar temple. He is a very powerful God and infact he fulfilled my childhood prayers of getting good marks :-) . The visit to the temple was interestingly synchronised with the famous namakkal temple festival in which people pour 'manjal thanni' just like holi function. During this ocassion, Lord is brought in ratham around the streets of Namakkal and it is normally a holiday for Namakkal. I could recollect my childhood days in an appartment that collected around Rs 30/50 as donation amount and screened few films on cinema-size screens in the street . No wonder, on the day of my visit last week, Namakkal appeared to be almost closed and the temple was very much crowded !

Lord Anjaneya appears worshipping Lord Narasimha (Narasimha temple is just opposite to Lord Anjaneyar temple in Namakkal) in the standing posture and is very tall with sky as the roof. In my childhood days, i remember that the temple did not have any flooring (It was sand) and it was not covered completely. Last week, i found that things have changed very much that there were new paintings , floorings and rennovation of walls . Good to see a progressive positive change in Namakkal temple. People in Namakkal are very lucky to have such a powerful God in their place as they could frequently visit as they wish !!

1 comment: